Does your wardrobe contain legit 50 shades of grey? Do you find yourself being drawn, over and over again, to the same black cardigan everytime you go shopping? Do people joke that your wardrobe matches the color of your soul; black? If you answered yes to any of these questions, it’s time to start looking somewhere over the rainbow honey.
“I’ll stop wearing black when they invent a darker color.” – Wednesday Addams
Building a wardrobe which consists of mostly neutrals makes good sense, all your pieces will mix and match easily, layering is a cinch and it will instill a timeless, uniformity into your closet. But life is not all in black, white and the in-between; it is also colorful, vibrant and expressive. Playing with color in a look now and then couldn’t hurt then, could it?
Wearing head to toe color may seem daunting at first, but follow a few simple guidelines and before you know it you’ll be wearing more colors than a box of Crayola crayons.
“Anything is possible with sunshine and a little pink.” Lilly Pulitzer
- Start with a focal point (shirt, dress, skirt, shoes), it is helpful if it has a few different colors within it (like a floral pattern) this will help you tie in other items of color to your look. Choose supporting pieces from your main color palette or at least colors in the same color-family as your focus item.
- Lay items of clothing out on the floor or bed to see how they will look together, take pictures of the different options and keep adding and taking away items to see if they jib together before deciding on the final look.
- Consider different textures as part of your look, contrast (think smooth with rough or shiny with texture) can add a ton of interest to a look without having to hear head-to-toe color. Starting with one item of color in an outfit is a nice introduction to the rainbow world without the risk of being over-the-top.
- Infuse your look with confidence. Color is bright, it is noticeable, loud and sometimes obnoxious. If you feel good in what you’re wearing and you wear it with confidence, you have an unbeatable combo that is sure to impress.
- Blouse – Poppy Apparel Shop
- Skirt – Mango
- Tights – Maison Simons
- Boots – Aldo
- Sunglasses – Ray Bans
- Handbag – Marc Jacobs
Let me know in the comments below if you tried adding more color to your everyday wardrobe!